Friday, February 11, 2011

Super Bowl, Zoo, and King Ranch

We have been having a great time with our friends, Kathy and Ken, Barb and Duane, and of course Pam and Harold.  These folks are all Michigandians.  They had told us of a Michigan delicacy “Koegel’s hot dogs and how they are the best anywhere. So I went online and had some shipped to the Rio Grande Valley.  For Super Bowl I made a pot of no bean chili and we cooked the dogs on the BBQ.

P1040109 

Everyone enjoyed them and I must say they were excellent.

P1040112

A demonstration of the Michigandian technique.

Gorgie asked if anyone needed a fork and knife and was promptly shouted down.

P1040105 Kathy and Ken seem as though they enjoyed their Koegle’s.

I’m sure we were the only folks who had Koegle’s in Texas for the Super Bowl.

Down in Brownsville they have a really great zoo ( Gladys Porter Zoo ).  Pam, Harold, Kathy, Gorgie, and I went down there for the day Monday, it was fun to see all the animals, they have some great exhibits.

P1040123

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P1040125

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Being a weekday it was not crowded at all, so we were able to take our time and enjoy the animals.

IMG_0145

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0149

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0207

 

 

 

  There were some two legged characters around as well.

 

 

 

Our next adventure took us to the King Ranch. Everyone loaded up on a tour bus for the 100 mile trip north.  At 850,000 acres the King Ranch is the largest ranch in the world.( LINK to King Ranch )

P1040165

 

 

 

                      Ready to hit the trail.

 

 

 

P1040175

 

 

 

“Lolo”

 

 

 

 

 

Lolo talked to us about some of the history of the ranch, and how he was the first person to ride Assault the only triple crown winner from Texas in 1946. He has lived and worked on the ranch all his life.  The tour was very nice and the ranch was interesting to see. 

We have been very busy here the last month and tomorrow is our time to move on, sad we really enjoyed our stay, and all the new friends we have made.

P1040167

 

 

 

  Kathy and Ken

 

 

 

 

 

P1040096

 

 

 

    Barb and Duane

 

 

 

 

P1040010

 

 

 

 

   Pam and Harold

 

 

 

 

We will miss these friends and hope to meet up again soon.

More Later,

Rich & Gloria

2 comments:

Pam, Harold J, Miss Katie said...

Pam
We had so much fun with you both. I wish you were staying with us forever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Happy and SAFE trails till we meet again.
Love yas'
Pam

Anonymous said...

Looks Like Fun!! What Great Memories...I Know You Both Will Be Missed. :0)

Dusty