We were enjoying a mostly pleasant drive south on I-5 yesterday. North of Corvalis it was like being in a parade, there were so many vehicles that were decorated with flags, banners, signs, stuffed animals, and people wearing orange or yellow sweatshirts. They were all headed to the Civil War game in Corvalis. Traffic was heavy but not too bad.
We had the last of the Thanksgiving turkey in a wonderful sandwich at a rest stop and headed out to complete our journey to Seven Feathers in Canyonville, OR. A couple of miles from Sutherlin a warning light came on and we started to lose power. We limped to the next exit and stopped in the parking lot of an abandoned restaurant, but not before stalling at a stop sign. I looked out and saw a sign for a mobile deisel repair shop, so I called their number. About an hour later a technitian showed up and looked things over, put his analyzer on the computer port and found nothing, no codes, no indication why the warning light came on. There was a stored code that said the computer had experienced a low voltage situation but it didn't tell us when the code happened. Well, he checked all the fluid levels (I had already done that, before starting out and again while waiting) and they were all proper. He did find a loose terminal on one of the batteries so he tightened that up and said we should be ready to go.
Back on the road we go, we were about 50 of so miles out and everything ran great. We arrived at the RV resort and shut down the engine and I went in and registered. When I started the rig up to go to our space, the warning light was back on. We parked and set up, had a scotch, and decided to go to the casino and have dinner.
This morning I looked up Cummins Northwest on the internet and they have a shop in Medford about 70 miles south, but of course being Sunday they don't work today. I'll give them a call first thing in the morning and hopfully they can get us in then and get this resolved. I'm going to look to see if I can find a loose wire or something obvious in a little while. I don't know yet if we will try to limp down there today or stay here another night. This isn't the adventure we set out to have.
More Later, Rich
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sorry you are having trouble at the start of your trip - bummer! It will pass quickly, Love Annie
Post a Comment