Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Snow & Crazy Jug Point


Posted by Rich

This is a picture from Crazy Jug Point.

Sat. 10/6/07
Snow on the Kaibab. It was cold last night, our thermometer said it got down to 28 degrees, but they told me at the office it got to 22, just a bit on the chilly side. I was up to ask about the weather forecast, and was told that it was going to be cold but the danger of any snow had passed. I guess Mother Nature didn’t get that report. As I sit here it’s snowing on and off, lightly and not sticking but there is snow coming down. When I was in the office they told me about a canyon lookout that is hardly visited by anyone. It is about 35 miles down the gravel road that goes by the campground. Today was going to be laundry, book reading kind of day, well as soon as Gorgie gets the laundry done, I think we’ll have a sandwich and take off to see what we can see.

Sun. 10/7/07
This morning we woke up to 18 degrees, outside. Inside it was 41 in our bedroom but a balmy 54 in the living room where I left the electric heater on all night. That made for some great sleeping. I also left the water dripping in the sink so that didn’t freeze, and we have running water. The drain hose is probably full of ice though. I’m watching the sun come up and it sure is lovely here.
Speaking of great sights, we took a back road trip that was recommended to us by the camp staff, they had printed a copy of the forest service map for us and we were off. It was a long and bumpy ride (gravel road), the Zuki was in her element though; we traveled between 20 and 30 MPH all the way there. What scenery, the drive was through mostly forest, with some meadows thrown in. There is a mix of pines with those colorful aspens mixed in. We saw several deer and cows grazing, what a great drive.
We were not prepared for what we found when we got to “Crazy Jug Point”. The vistas from here were different than those from the North Rim; they looked out on wooded mesas and cliffs that looked as though they were carpeted with an indoor/outdoor carpet, making it a softer and lusher, while contrasted with the ruggedness of the canyons. We were the only people there, the silence was awesome, there were crows all around us and we could actually hear their wings beating the air over our heads, and that’s all there was to hear. We also witnessed a hawk flying in front of us with a squirrel in its talons-dinner. What an experience!!
On the return trip we continued down the forest road to where it met the main paved road and came home that way. I don’t think the temperature ever got past 40 yesterday so when we got back I didn’t want to spend any more time outside barbequing, I was chilled to the bone. So we went up to the Jacob Lake Lodge and had a wonderful dinner of Jaeger schnitzel for me and chicken portabella mushroom with a cranberry orange sauce for Gorgie. What a good meal and such nice people.
We don’t have any plans for today but if something comes up we’ll tell you about it.
Tomorrow we travel to Lake Powell for a few a few days. The drive there is going to be interesting. We drive down into the canyon through some very scenic country and cross the Colorado River on the Navajo Bridge. Along the way are some lookouts we’ll have to check out. While at Lake Powell we want to take a boat trip to a rock formation called “Rainbow Arch” it’s an all day excursion and we are looking forward to it.


Well that brings you up to date with our Jacob Lake adventures. We have lots of pictures to share we just can't put them all on the blog. Google has a web album feature that I may look into. Today we need to go grocery shopping so we thought we would explore the town of Page, Arizona. On the next post I'll put up a picture of what we see from our campsite, this is by far the most scenic site of the trip. Wait til you see picture.


More Later, Rich

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So incredibly gorgeous!
Love,
Nisi

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! We can't wait to catch-up on all of them.
Frick'n cold man!
The DeFords!