Saturday, December 06, 2008

Valley Fog

We started our Friday in a dense fog. Once again I fell in behind a Wal-Mart truck and watched the fog line for about 40 miles. As we gained some altitude and the sun burned off some of the fog driving became much easier. We had driven about 90 miles when the warning lights came on AGAIN and the engine stalled. We were able to pull well off the road onto the shoulder. I was able to restart but the alternator light remained on. I crawled under to see if I could do something and the pulley for the belt tensioner came off in my hand. Well, we called for another tow and had to wait for an hour and a half for him to get to us. The tow was over 50 miles all the way to Fresno. Good Sam had called and made arrangements (so they said) at a place called Dan Gamel RV. Well it took them 45 minutes to find who said they could work on it, when they did he said that he thought we would drop it off and they would look at it some time next week. They didn't even have a tech on duty. The tow truck driver suggested we take it to Cummins-West. That sounded like a good idea to me so off we go. I had to call for authorization to get towed there and I told GS what I thought about that place anyway they said OK.
Well, the folks at Cummins were the opposite of the RV place. They went out of their way to get on the job immediatly and replaced the tensioner and belts. The tech stayed late to complete the job, by this time it was getting dark and not wanting to drive in the dark they let us stay in their lot. We backed up to the building and plugged into a 50 amp outlet. They gave us the combination to their gate so we were able to go to an Applebee's for dinner, and we will be able to let ourselves out this morning. But the fog is bad again. The plan is to drive the 330 miles we have left to get to Desert Hot Springs today a long day but doable. Wish us luck...

More Later, Rich

No comments: